RTI activist murder case: BJP MP named in CBI chargesheet
Ahmedabad: BJP MP from Gujarat Dinu Bogha Solanki has been named in the CBI chargesheet filed on Saturday in a court here in connection with murder of RTI activist Amit Jethwa who had waged a crusade against illegal mining in Gir Forest of the state, the last home of Asiatic lions.
Jethwa has been charge sheeted under Section 120 B (criminal conspiracy) and Section 320 (murder) of Indian Penal Code, official sources said.
The charge sheet was filed in a special CBI court here.
Solanki, Lok Sabha member from Junagarh, was arrested on November 5 in connection with the case.
Gujarat Police had arrested six persons, including Shiva Solanki, nephew of the BJP MP, and sharp shooter Sailesh Pandya who had shot at Jethwa outside the Gujarat High Court. All of them were questioned by CBI inside a jail after taking permission from the designated court.
Jethwa was an RTI and environment activist who had filed numerous RTI applications and a PIL against illegal mining in Gir forest region. He was shot dead on July 20, 2010.
The BJP MP was earlier given a clean chit by Crime Branch of Gujarat Police prompting the father of the deceased to approach the Gujarat High Court. Gujarat Police`s crime branch had ruled out any involvement of Solanki in the murder.
Terming the probe conducted by the Gujarat Police "far from fair, independent, bona fide or prompt", the High Court had transferred the case to CBI.
The killing had sparked an uproar among RTI activists across the country who raised concerns over the safety of such whistleblowers.
In his plea before the High Court, Jethwa`s father Bhikabhai has alleged the state police had not properly probed the case and the state government was shielding the BJP MP.
The court had said the probe in the case was "far from fair, independent, bona fide or prompt".
"It has come on record that Shiva Solanki and DB (Dinu Bogha Solanki) were living together in a joint family and no investigator could have been easily satisfied with the statements that they did not interact in respect of the conspiracy to commit a capital crime," the court had said.
Jethwa had filed several petitions in the Gujarat High Court, including a Public Interest Litigation, in connection with illegal mining in Gir forests in Junagarh district which is a protected area and last home to Asiatic lions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!