Sabarmati Jail tunnel case: Police get custody of five accused
Ahmedabad: A magistrate`s court here on Thursday remanded the five accused of Ahmedabad serial blast case to police custody till March 5 in connection with the unsuccessful jail-break conspiracy at Sabarmati Central Jail.
Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) today produced the accused before the Metropolitan Magistrate B J Ganatra and sought a 14-day remand.
DCB said it wanted to find out if the accused had planned to flee to Pakistan after escaping, and who were providing them support from outside the jail, besides the details of tunnel-digging, such as the instruments they had used.
DCB, yesterday, had taken into custody Shaduli Abdul Kalim, Shibli Abdul Kalim, Zahid Sheikh, Nasir Patel and Hafiz Mulla from Sabarmati Jail.
A daring escape plan came to light on February 10 when the authorities stumbled upon a 16-feet deep and 26-feet long tunnel inside barrack No 4 of Sabarmati Jail, where 14 of the 68 Ahmedabad serial blasts case accused were lodged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly