Sabarmati jailbreak: 4 more accused given police remand
Ahmedabad: A local court here on Sunday sent four more Ahmedabad serial bomb blast accused to nine-day police remand in connection with the failed Sabarmati jailbreak attempt.
The Crime Branch police today produced them before the Metropolitan court here and sought their custody for 14 days.
However, Metropolitan Magistrate PJ Tambakuwala ordered them to be sent to police remand till March 25.
A daring escape plan had come to light on February 10 when jail authorities stumbled upon a tunnel inside barrack No 4 `Chhota Chakkar` of Sabarmati jail, where 14 of the 68 Ahmedabad serial blasts case accused were lodged.
The crime branch had earlier taken custody of 10 accused who were sent back to judicial custody after their interrogation was over.
The Crime Branch had sought 14-day remand of the four more accused following revelation that the tunnel dug was 214 feet long and not 26 feet as was earlier believed.
"We have found out that tunnel was 214 feet long and they were only 3 feet away from the point from where they would have succeeded in escaping. We want to know why they did not escape when they could have," reads the remand application.
"We also want to know whether there was any plan to bring any explosives into the jail premises from outside," said the application.
Today, during the hearing of the remand application, two of the four accused, Saifur Rehman alias Saif Abdul Rehman and Shaqib Nisar Ahmad complained about physical and mental `torture` by the crime branch officials.
"In their effort to extract a suitable confessional statement, investigating officers had physically and mentally tortured them," alleged advocate Khalid Shaikh who represented the accused.
Taking their complaint on record, the court asked the crime branch officials to take both of them to the civil hospital for medical check up and submit a report before the court on next date of hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi