Sadiq case: Complaint filed with Crime branch
Ahmedabad: Following the Gujarat High Court order, the city crime branch on Saturday accepted a complaint filed in connection with Sadiq Jamal Mehtar encounter case by his brother Shabbir Mehtar.
The police have assured Shabbir that an FIR will be registered in this connection once the copy of the court order is received by them.
The High Court on June 16 had ordered a CBI probe into the 2003 police encounter of Sadiq involving high rank police officials.
"The court in its order dated June 16 had directed the city crime branch to register an FIR and hand over the case to CBI for investigation," Mukul Sinha, a lawyer of Shabbir Jamal Mehtar told newsmen.
The order was passed by Justice MR Shah while hearing a petition filed by Shabbir demanding CBI inquiry into death of his brother.
"As per the court order, CBI has to complete the probe within six months from the date of handover of case," Sinha said.
"Shabbir Jamal Mehtar, brother of Sadiq had gone to register the FIR today at the city crime branch, but the police declined to register the FIR on the grounds that they have not received a copy of the High Court order yet," Sinha said.
The court found Shabbir`s contention that Sadiq was killed by high ranking Gujarat police officers in a fake encounter `reasonable`, considering that probe was on against the police officers in three other encounter cases.
"I am hoping that once the case is handed over to CBI for investigation we shall get justice. My brother was not a terrorist as shown by the police here, the truth shall come out during investigations," Shabbir told newsmen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling