Sadiq case: Complaint filed with Crime branch
Ahmedabad: Following the Gujarat High Court order, the city crime branch on Saturday accepted a complaint filed in connection with Sadiq Jamal Mehtar encounter case by his brother Shabbir Mehtar.
The police have assured Shabbir that an FIR will be registered in this connection once the copy of the court order is received by them.
The High Court on June 16 had ordered a CBI probe into the 2003 police encounter of Sadiq involving high rank police officials.
"The court in its order dated June 16 had directed the city crime branch to register an FIR and hand over the case to CBI for investigation," Mukul Sinha, a lawyer of Shabbir Jamal Mehtar told newsmen.
The order was passed by Justice MR Shah while hearing a petition filed by Shabbir demanding CBI inquiry into death of his brother.
"As per the court order, CBI has to complete the probe within six months from the date of handover of case," Sinha said.
"Shabbir Jamal Mehtar, brother of Sadiq had gone to register the FIR today at the city crime branch, but the police declined to register the FIR on the grounds that they have not received a copy of the High Court order yet," Sinha said.
The court found Shabbir`s contention that Sadiq was killed by high ranking Gujarat police officers in a fake encounter `reasonable`, considering that probe was on against the police officers in three other encounter cases.
"I am hoping that once the case is handed over to CBI for investigation we shall get justice. My brother was not a terrorist as shown by the police here, the truth shall come out during investigations," Shabbir told newsmen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly