Sadiq encounter case: retired cop surrenders before Guj court
Ahmedabad: A retired Deputy Superintendent of Police (DySP) and an accused in the 2003 Sadiq Jamal encounter case, on Monday surrendered before a local court.
Irshadali Saiyed, named in the charge-sheet filed by the CBI and against whom a non-bailable warrant was issued on Friday, today appeared before the special CBI Judge H S Khutwad.
As CBI didn`t seek his remand, court sent him in judicial custody.
In his surrender application, filed through advocate Rohit Verma, Saiyed claimed he learnt from the media reports that he had been named as an accused.
"In fact I was to remain present before the chief investigating officer of the case on December 21 as directed by CBI. However, since I am suffering from medical complications for last many years, I was required to seek medical assistance that day and hence could not remain present," he said.
Jamal, a resident of Bhavnagar, was killed in an encounter by the Gujarat police here on January 13, 2003.
But the genuineness of the encounter became an issue after former Mumbai-based journalist Ketan Tirodkar filed an affidavit before a court in Mumbai that he was witness to Jamal`s hand-over to Gujarat police by the `encounter specialist` officer Daya Nayak of Mumbai police a few days before the alleged encounter.
Gujarat High Court, last June, ordered CBI probe upon a petition of Sabir Jamal, Sadiq`s brother. CBI then arrested seven accused, including Tirodkar and DySP Tarun Barot.
Another accused, retired DySP K M Vaghela, is yet to be arrested. Court has issued non-bailable warrant against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves