Sadiq Jamal encounter case: Brother says no to STF probe
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Monday
reserved its order in the Sadiq Jamal encounter case of 2003
after the state government opposed to the SIT probe as agreed
to by Sadiq`s brother.
Earlier, Shabbir Jamal Mehtar, brother of Sadiq who
was killed in a police encounter in Naroda area of the city on
January 13, 2003 by the city crime branch, demanded a CBI
probe into the killing opposing the Special Task Force
(STF)-led investigation agreed to by the state government.
He, however,insisted for a probe by SIT, formed by
Gujarat High Court in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan police encounter
case, instead of CBI probe. However, the state government
opposed to the SIT probe.
Shabbir`s counsel Mukul Sinha expressed apprehensions
with regard to the probe by STF alleging that the state police
had already filed a closure report in the encounter case
without conducting in depth investigations.
Sinha claimed that the number two accused in the case
Tariq Parveen, who has been shown as an absconder by the
police, was in fact lodged in Mumbai`s Arthur Road prison in
connection with some other case and had recently been
Sinha, however, submitted that he would agree to a
probe by the SIT formed for the Ishrat Jahan encounter case,
instead of the CBI.
The state government pleader PK Jani opposed Sinha`s
proposal saying that it was not required at this stage.
The Crime Branch had claimed that they had had
intelligence inputs that Sadiq was a hardcore criminal who had
plotted to kill BJP leader LK Advani, Chief Minister Narendra
Modi and VHP leader Pravin Togadia.
The state government last week filed an affidavit
in the High Court informing it about formation of the STF and
a Monitoring Authority (MA) to enquire into the alleged fake
It had also informed that retired Justice MB Shah was
appointed as chairman of MA and IGP AK Sharma as chief of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days