Sadiq Jamal encounter: CBI likely to quiz ex-IB officer
New Delhi: The probe into the alleged fake encounter case of Sadiq Jamal of 2003 in Gujarat will enter yet another phase with the CBI all set to question former Special Director of Intelligence Bureau Sudhir Kumar in connection with the case.
Highly-placed sources in the agency said that Kumar, a 1968 batch IPS officer, would be called for questioning in the case and understanding the sequence of the events that led to the encounter.
The input given by Kumar was the alleged reason behind the killing of Jamal, a resident of Bhavnagar city, by a team of Gujarat crime branch in an encounter near Galaxy Cinema on the outskirts of Ahmedabad on January 13, 2003.
Kumar, who retired as member of Central Vigilance Commission, was posted as Special Director of Intelligence Bureau when this incident took place.
The sources did not rule out the possibility of questioning of the then Joint Director of IB`s operational cell who later become the head of the organisation.
They said role of Kumar, who was handling Western Zone in the Intelligence Bureau at the agency headquarters, was under scanner of the agency for the alert that Jamal was a terrorist on a mission to eliminate VIPs in Gujarat.
The CBI has already questioned a Maharashtra cadre officer of the rank of Joint Secretary twice and would now be summoning Sudhir Kumar and Rajendra Kumar.
Jamal`s brother Shabir had sought further investigation into the alleged role played by then Joint Director (IB) Rajendra Kumar, former state Minister of State (MoS) for Home and the Chief Minister in the encounter.
At that time, Gujarat Police had claimed that he was a terrorist who entered the city to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi and VHP leader Pravin Togadia, a claim similar to that made during the Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender