Sadiq Jamal encounter: CBI registers case
Ahmedabad: The Central Bureau of
Investigation (CBI) has registered a case relating to alleged
fake encounter of Sadiq Jamal Mehtar in 2003 by Gujarat police, an official statement on the agency` website said.
The case was registered by the Central agency
yesterday on the directions of the Gujarat High Court.
"The CBI has registered a case relating to the killing
of Sadiq Jamal Mehtar in an alleged police encounter by the
Gujarat Police, on the directions of High Court of Gujarat in
Special Criminal Application no.963/2007, filed by the brother
of deceased," the CBI statement said.
"A Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been
constituted by CBI under a Joint Director and investigation is
continuing," the statement added.
The case has been registered against police officials
of Gujarat and Maharashtra and others.
On June 16, High Court judge Justice M R Shah had
ordered CBI investigation into the Sadiq Jamal encounter with
which certain high ranking police officers were associated,
including suspended IPS officer D G Vanzara, one of the key
accused in Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
Sadiq was killed in a police encounter by city crime
branch officials near Galaxy cinema in Naroda area of the city
on January 13, 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report