Sanitation project in Guj villages impresses MP
Vadodara: Successful implementation of a sanitation project in 16 villages of Vadodara district has drawn the attention of Madhya Pradesh Government.
`Soclean` is being implemented in these villages since January 26 this year. Under this, district administration has roped in Centre for Development and Communication (CDC), a private non-profit agency, for picking up solid waste.
Under Soclean, nine vehicles have been picking up solid waste from 16 villages and disposing of at a wasteland on the outskirt Vadodara city, he explained.
A team of Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan from Madhya Pradesh, headed by Pushpalatta Singh, yesterday visited Bil and Talsat villages to learn about Soclean. Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan is a Centre-sponsored rural sanitation programme.
"During our visit to the two villages, we got details about this project, which we wish to replicate in villages of Madhya Pradesh," Singh said.
Shankar said the project was designed by the District Rural Development Agency (DRDA) and the local panchayats.
The IAS officer said CDC has also been creating awareness among villagers on how to maintain sanitation in their houses and streets. "The vehicles deployed under the project have been collecting 40 tonnes of garbage every day from the 16 villages with active participation of panchayats. The project has brought wonderful results."
"Encouraged by its success, we want to bring 256 more villages, spread over 12 talukas of the district, under the plan and collect 600 tonnes of garbage every day," he said.
The district panchayat does not spend a single penny from its pocket, Shankar said, adding CDC has been bearing the expenditure of the vehicles and their maintenance.
Shankar said the CDC recovers its cost by collecting `safai vero` (sanitation charges) from these villages through the local gram panchayats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations