Sanjeev Bhatt forged evidence to malign Guj govt: SIT
Ahmedabad: The lawyer of the Special Investigation Team (SIT) appointed by the Supreme Court to probe the 2002 Gujarat riots today contended that Sanjeev Bhatt, suspended IPS officer, forged evidence to malign the state government.
"Sanjeev Bhatt has claimed that he had alerted Chief Minister`s office of impending riots...Through fax messages, but during our investigation it was found that many of those messages were forged," said advocate R S Jamuar, arguing before Metropolitan Magistrate B J Ganatra here.
"We strongly believe that Bhatt, who came out in open against (Chief Minister) Narendra Modi and state government almost after nine years, has no other intentions but to malign it," Jamuar added.
He cited a few fax messeges submitted by Bhatt to SIT, and said, "These messeges show initials of his then superior officers G C Raigar and O P Mathur. But both the officers denied that those were their initials."
Jamuar was replying to the issues raised by Zakia Jafri, who has filed a petition challenging the closure report of SIT giving clean chit to Modi and others for their alleged roles in 2002 post-Godhra riots.
Jafri, whose husband and ex-Congress MP Ehsan Jafri was killed in Gulbarg society massacre during riots, has demanded that Modi and others be charge-sheeted. Her original complaint to the Supreme Court cites Bhatt as a witness.
Jamuar, contending that Bhatt was not a reliable witness, submitted some e-mail correspondence between Bhatt and Rahul Sharma, another IPS officer. In one of these, Bhatt sought information from Sharma on the location of former Minister of State for Home Haren Pandya on the evening of February 27, 2002.
"Bhatt, who has alleged that Modi instructed the police officials not to take any action against rioters, claims that Pandya attended that meeting (at Modi`s official residence) and he (Bhatt) was also present. If he was present in that meeting, then how come he was seeking information of Pandya`s location at that time," Jamuar said.
"We have found no evidence about Bhatt`s presence in that meeting and as he wanted to support his allegations he was seeking information from Rahul Sharma who clearly told him that during the late evening of February 27 (after the Godhra train incident) Pandya`s mobile location indicated that he was in Ahmedabad," the SIT lawyer said.
The hearing would continue tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp