Sasan bandh against SC verdict on trans-location of lions
Rajkot: Villages and towns around the Gir wildlife sanctuary located in Junagadh district including Sasan village on Thursday observed a total bandh to protest the Supreme Court ruling on trans-location of some of the Asiatic lions to Madhya Pradesh.
The bandh call was given by Gir Nature Club and supported by various organisations - including trade unions, Sasan Hotel association and guide association.
A rally was today taken out which submitted a memorandum to the Sasan Mamlatdar in this regard, Sasan Hotel Association secretary Pyaru Vadsariya said.
Sasan is a village on the boundary of Gir sanctuary and is the main entry point to it.
The Supreme Court had on Monday allowed trans-location of Asiatic lions from Gujarat to Madhya Pradesh, saying the species is under threat of extinction and needs a second home.
"We respect our judicial system but the decision on shifting of lions to Madhya Pradesh has been taken without proper scrutiny," the memorandum said.
"Trans-location of some Asiatic lions to Madhya Pradesh is improper because in the past some lions were shifted there and could not match the atmosphere there and failed to survive," it said adding that "Gir is the only place where the atmosphere is suitable to the Asiatic lions."
Gujarat Finance Minister and state spokesperson Nitin Patel had yesterday said that the state government would be exploring "all legal options" against the SC verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video