Satyapal Singh doesn`t want to head SIT
Ahmedabad: In what could be a setback to
the probe into the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case,
Maharashtra ADGP Satyapal Singh, asked to head the Special
Investigation Team formed by Gujarat High Court, has requested
that he be exempted from the responsibility.
The division bench of justices Jayant Patel and
Abhilasha Kumari had appointed Singh as the head of SIT on May
In a letter to Gujarat High Court, Singh, currently
posted as Additional DGP (Law & Order), has said that the
Maharashtra government was reluctant to relieve him, court
Besides, Singh has also stated that he has some
personal reasons for not wanting to take up the job.
He is not familiar with the local language, for one.
Also, as one of the police officers associated with the
encounter, ADGP P P Pande, was his batchmate from the 1980 IPS
batch, Singh is reluctant to head the probe, according the
The high court appointed Singh after the earlier SIT
chairman Karnal Singh expressed desire to be let off following
his posting to Mizoram.
A copy of Singh`s letter has been forwarded to the
state government and other agencies concerned.
Ishrat, along with three others, was killed in a
police encounter on June 15, 2004. Ahmedabad Crime Branch had
claimed that they were LeT terrorists who had come to
assassinate Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
But last year the high court set up the SIT in response
to a petition filed by her mother, to probe the genuineness of
The next hearing of the case is on June 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'