SC asks Gujarat govt to cooperate with Lokayukta
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday asked the Gujarat government to cooperate and provide all facilities to Justice (Retd) R A Mehta for carrying out his work as Lokayukta.
Justice Mehta had not joined the office due to pendency of the case over his appointment in the Gujarat High Court and later in the Supreme Court.
"Before parting with the case, we would like to mention that as Justice Mehta did not join the post, because of the pendency of the case, he may join now.
"Needless to say the Gujarat government shall provide all facilities/office, staff etc., required to carry out the work of the Lokayukta. More so, we have no doubt that appellants will render all co-operation to Justice Mehta in performance of the work of the Lokayukta," said a bench of justices B S Chauhan and F M Ibrahim Kalifulla.
The apex court upheld the appointment of Justice Mehta as Gujarat Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal.
The Governor had appointed Justice Mehta to the post of Lokayukta on August 25, 2011. The post had been lying vacant for over eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?