SC asks Gujarat govt to cooperate with Lokayukta
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday asked the Gujarat government to cooperate and provide all facilities to Justice (Retd) R A Mehta for carrying out his work as Lokayukta.
Justice Mehta had not joined the office due to pendency of the case over his appointment in the Gujarat High Court and later in the Supreme Court.
"Before parting with the case, we would like to mention that as Justice Mehta did not join the post, because of the pendency of the case, he may join now.
"Needless to say the Gujarat government shall provide all facilities/office, staff etc., required to carry out the work of the Lokayukta. More so, we have no doubt that appellants will render all co-operation to Justice Mehta in performance of the work of the Lokayukta," said a bench of justices B S Chauhan and F M Ibrahim Kalifulla.
The apex court upheld the appointment of Justice Mehta as Gujarat Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal.
The Governor had appointed Justice Mehta to the post of Lokayukta on August 25, 2011. The post had been lying vacant for over eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing