SC dismisses Gujarat cop`s plea in Ishrat Jahan shootout
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition by Additional Director General of Gujarat Police P.P. Pandey challenging an arrest warrant issued against him in the 2004 staged shootout case of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
The apex court bench headed by Justice Gyan Sudha Misra said the petitioner, a Gujarat cadre Indian Police Service officer, could not approach them for challenging the arrest warrant issued by a magistrate, without approaching the high court.
Besides seeking the quashing of the arrest warrant, Pandey had sought the quashing of the second first information report which was filed in the case on the direction of the Gujarat High Court after the investigation into the case was handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
An Ahmedabad magistrate had issued non-bailable arrest warrant against Pandey May 2.
Mumbai college girl Ishrat Jahan, Pranesh Gopinath Pilai, Amjad Ali and Jishan Johar were killed by Gujarat Police in a staged shootout June 15, 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip