SC issues notice on Ishrat Jahan killing case
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday issued notice to the CBI and the Gujarat government on a petition seeking quashing of the second FIR registered by the agency in the shootout killing of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
The petition was filed by Additional Director General of the State police Puthvipal P. Pandey.
Ishrat Jahan, Javed alias Pranesh Gopinath Pilai, Amjad Ali and Jishan Johar were killed by Gujarat Police in a fake shootout June 15, 2004.
The apex court bench of Justice Gyan Sudha Misra and Justice Madan B. Lokur also issued notice on an application by Panday seeking to restrain the investigating agency from arresting him in pursuance to second FIR registered Dec 16, 2011.
The petition by Pandey has sought the withdrawing the IPS officer Satish Verma from the investigating team as he allegedly nurtured professional rivalry and was was prejudiced to him. The petition contended that the inclusion of Verma in the investigating team rendered it "unfair and biased".
The impugned FIR was registered by the CBI Dec 16, 2011, after the Gujarat High court asked the CBI to take over the investigation. The high court Dec 1, 2011, had directed the CBI to register a fresh FIR in the shootout case.
Assailing the registration of the second FIR in the case, Pandey`s petition contended whether for the same offence it was permissible to register more than one FIR, if the version in the new FIR is not inconsistent or contrary to the version as set out in the earlier FIR.
In another poser, Pandey`s petition has contended if repeated investigation by different agencies for the same offence was permissible.
As joint commissioner of Ahmedabad police, Pandey had June 14, 2004, informed then Deputy Commissioner of Police DG Vanzara and Assistant Commissioner of Police GL Singhal that Pakistani fidayeens had left Mumbai and were expected to reach Ahmedabad June 15, 2004.
This intelligence input was a follow up to an earlier report that was received June 1, 2004, by Ahmedabad Police commissioner KR Kaushik that two Pakistani fidayeens have left Jammu and Kashmir for Ahmedabad for killing Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Pandey`s petition said that the killings were investigated by Gujarat Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28