SC notice to Modi govt on bail plea of IAS officer
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Thursday issued a
notice to Gujarat government on the bail plea of a senior IAS officer Pradeep Sharma who was allegedly victimised by Chief
Minister Narendra Modi by putting him behind the bars in
various criminal cases filed against him.
A bench headed by Justice Aftab Alam agreed to hear the bail plea of Sharma but refused to grant him interim bail to join family members during Diwali festival.
Sharma, who has been in jail for the last 16 months for
being involved in alleged irregularity in land allotment to
private firms in Kutch district, moved the apex court against
the order of Gujarat High Court which had dismissed his bail
The 1984 batch IAS officer had alleged he is being
targeted by Modi government because his younger brother Kuldip
Sharma, a senior IPS officer in the state, has "unmasked" many
misdeeds of Modi since Godhra riots.
"The petitioner happens to be the younger brother of
Kuldip Sharma who has unmasked many misdeeds of Narendra Modi
and Amit Shah, the ex-Home Minister, since the 2002 Godhra
riots. The two siblings have been very close to each other
right from childhood and share very strong fraternal bonds. In
order to cause prejudice to Kuldip Sharma, the petitioner has
been victimised by Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Amit
Shah," the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- India tour of West Indies 2016: It was a complete performance, says Virat Kohli after comprehensive win
- Vietnam warns South China Sea is a `test` of ASEAN
- China telecom giant Huawei first half revenue up 40%
- Iulia Vantur celebrated her birthday with this Bollywood celebrity – Pics inside
- Tour de France 2016: After third title, Chris Froome focuses on Rio Olympics 2016