SC stays proceedings against Teesta Setalvad
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday stayed
criminal proceedings against social activist Teesta Setalvad
for her alleged role in a case of exhuming the bodies of
post-Godhra riot victims in 2006 at Pandarwada in Gujarat.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and R M Lodha also
issued notice to the Gujarat government seeking its response
to Setalvad`s plea for quashing the criminal proceedings
She had approached the apex court against the May 27
order of the Gujarat High Court refusing to quash the First
Information Report (FIR) registered against her.
Setalvad had moved the high court in May for quashing
the FIR registered against her at a police station in
Panchmahal district of the state in connection with exhumation
of the bodies from Pandarwada and surrounding villages in
Khanpur taluka from a graveyard near river Panam in Gujarat.
The High Court, however, had quashed the summons
issued to her terming her as absconding. It observed that by
showing Setalvad as an absconding accused in the charge sheet
filed in April, "a glaring mistake has been committed by the
The FIR had alleged that Setalvad, who had earlier
secured anticipatory bail from a local court in Panchmahal
district, was the prime conspirator behind the incident.
Setalvad was implicated in the case by one of her
former close aides Rais Khan who was associated earlier with
her civil society organisation -- Citizen for Justice and
Khan had alleged that the bodies were exhumed at the
instance of Setalvad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan