SC takes on records "comments" on SIT probe in Guj riots
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today took on
record amicus curiae Raju Ramachandran`s "comments" on the
"confidential inquiry report" of a former CBI official over
allegations of investigation lapses by SIT in post-Godhra
riots including Gulberg Society case in which Chief Minister
Narendra Modi was questioned.
The Gulberg Society case had shocked the nation after
former Congresss MP Ehsan Jaffry was burnt to death by a mob
in which 63 others were killed in 2002.
The "confidential inquiry report" was prepared by ex-CBI
DIG A K Malhotra.
A three-judge special bench of justices D K Jain, P
Sathasivam and Aftab Alam, after accepting the report in a
sealed cover, posted the matter for further consideration to
Ramachandran, a senior advocate, was entrusted with the
task by the apex court after counsel Prashant Bhushan had
recused himself as an amicus following objections by Gujarat
government on account of his anti-Modi views.
CBI had so far submitted three status reports of its
investigations into the riots.
Besides Modi, the SIT had questioned former state
minister Gordhan Zadafia and a former senior police officer M
K Tandon. Witnesses, including Zakia Jafri, who is the
complainant, were also examined.
The apex court had on April 27, 2009, asked the SIT to
look into the complaint of Zakia about the alleged role of
Modi and others in Gulberg Housing Society killing.
Modi was questioned by the SIT on March 27-28, 2010.
The apex court had directed that Modi`s statement
recorded by the SIT would not be divulged to anyone except the
trial court and the public prosecutor concerned.
The bench had on October 26 asked the special court
to go ahead with trial of Gulbareg Society case but has asked
it not to not pronounce its judgement.
The 10 cases being monitored by the SIT on the earlier
directions of the apex court are Gulberg Society, Ode,
Sardarpura, Narodao Gaon, Naroda Patya, Baranpura, Machipith,
Tarsali, Pandarwada and Raghavapura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list