Scion of Baroda royal family Ranjitsinh Gaekwad dies
Vadodara: Scion of the former royal family of Baroda and Congress MP Ranjitsinh Gaekwad on Thursday died of cancer at a private hospital.
He was 74. Gaekwad is survived by wife Subhangini Devi, son Samarjeetsinh Gaekwad and two daughters.
Ranjitsinh died in the wee hours at the ICU of the local hospital where he was undergoing treatment for cancer of kidney, family sources said.
The ruler of the erstwhile princely state succeeded as the `Maharaja of Baroda` after the death of his elder brother Fatehsinghrao Gaekwad in 1988.
He served two terms as Congress MP from Vadodara seat, first in 1980 when late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi offered him ticket and again in 1984.
Ranjitsinh enjoyed close ties with the Gandhi family, especially with Rajiv Gandhi and his wife Sonia, in whose honour he had hosted a dinner at his Laxmi Palace here in 1986.
A painter himself, Ranjitsinh was a connoisseur of art and had organised painting exhibitions at a number of places in India and abroad, including the UK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'