Scion of Baroda royal family Ranjitsinh Gaekwad dies
Vadodara: Scion of the former royal family of Baroda and Congress MP Ranjitsinh Gaekwad on Thursday died of cancer at a private hospital.
He was 74. Gaekwad is survived by wife Subhangini Devi, son Samarjeetsinh Gaekwad and two daughters.
Ranjitsinh died in the wee hours at the ICU of the local hospital where he was undergoing treatment for cancer of kidney, family sources said.
The ruler of the erstwhile princely state succeeded as the `Maharaja of Baroda` after the death of his elder brother Fatehsinghrao Gaekwad in 1988.
He served two terms as Congress MP from Vadodara seat, first in 1980 when late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi offered him ticket and again in 1984.
Ranjitsinh enjoyed close ties with the Gandhi family, especially with Rajiv Gandhi and his wife Sonia, in whose honour he had hosted a dinner at his Laxmi Palace here in 1986.
A painter himself, Ranjitsinh was a connoisseur of art and had organised painting exhibitions at a number of places in India and abroad, including the UK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan