Security beefed up in city ahead of rathyatra, 3000 detained
Ahmedabad: Security has been beefed up in
wake of rathyatra of Lord Jagannath to be held on July 13 in
city and over 3000 persons have been detained as a preventive
Over 14,000 policemen have been deployed across the city
along with 4,500 home guards, while 40 cameras have been set
up for continuous video recording and monitoring of the 133rd
rathyatra, said Joint Police Commissioner, Satish Sharma here
Sharma said special provisions have been made in
communally sensitive areas like Shahpur where one person was
killed during recent clashes between two communities.
"We have made special deployment in sensitive areas of
the city like Shahpur. We also had a talk with the members of
both the communities and held meeting of the peace committees,
who have assured us that the rathyatra would be peaceful,"
Sharma told reporters here.
He said over 3000 persons which include history-sheeters
and anti-social elements have been put under preventive
detention as a precautionary measure.
When asked if there were Intelligence inputs of any
kind of threat during the rathyatra, Sharma said there were no
"However, looking at the size of the event and the huge
number of people involved in it, adequate security
arrangements have been made," he said, adding they were all
geared up for the grand event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra