Seeking clearance for action against Verma: Govt tells Guj HC

Last Updated: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 23:54

Ahmedabad: The state government on Thursday told
the Gujarat High court that clearance from the topmost
authority in the state has been sought for initiating
departmental action against IPS officer Satish Verma and
others in connection with the 1993 RDX and arms landing case
in Porbander district.
This was disclosed by Advocate General Kamal Trivedi
before a division bench of Justice Jayant Patel and Justice J
C Upadhyay which was hearing an application by Verma seeking a
review of the court`s order asking the government to act upon
an inquiry report in the 17 year old case.

On April 28, a division bench of Chief Justice S J
Mukhopadhaya and J B Pardiwala had asked the state government
to take a decision within a month on an inquiry report against
Verma and another IPS officer Atul Karwal for their alleged
inaction against an accused in RDX and arms landing case,
while hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking
action against the duo.

Verma is part of the special investigation team (SIT)
probing the Ishrat Jahan encounter killing case.
Today, during the hearing on Verma`s plea, the court
asked Advocate General Trivedi about the action taken by the
government on the order passed last month.

Trivedi said clearance for the action was awaited from
the `topmost authority of the government`.

The court also declined to pass orders or make any
observation on Verma`s application saying review of the order
could be done by the bench that had passed the order.

The next hearing in the matter is scheduled for June 13
when the bench that had passed the order in RDX landing case
would meet after the vacation.

The court wanted to know if it would be possible for
the government to hold the departmental action against Verma
till he completes investigation in the Ishrat case.

Trivedi said that being a member of the SIT does not
give anybody the right to commit illegality and if Verma
deserves to be subjected to departmental action, he should be
subjected to that, he added, clearing the government`s stand
on the court`s query.

The action against Verma was the result of a PIL filed
by senior counsel and former MLA Yatin Oza in 2005 seeking
action against Verma and Karwal for their alleged inaction
against Abdul Sattar Abdul Habib Hamdani alias `Sattar
Maulana` accused in the case of landing of large cache of RDX
and arms at Gossabara beach in Porbander district.

Verma was posted as Superintendent of Police in
Porbander in 1993.

It has been alleged that the RDX and arms were later
used during the 1993 serial bomb blasts in Mumbai.

Underworld dons Dawood Ibrahim, Abu Salem and Mohammad
Dosa are shown as absconding accused in the case.


Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.

First Published: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 23:54

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus