Setback to Modi as Congress wins Gandhinagar civic poll
Gandhinagar: In a setback to BJP in
general and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in
particular, Congress on Thursday won 18 out of 33 seats that went to
polls on April 19 for the newly-constituted Gandhinagar
Municipal Corporation (GMC).
The maiden contest for 33 GMC seats was a
keenly-contested battle between ruling BJP and opposition
Congress as Gandhinagar parliamentary seat has been
represented by senior BJP leader Lal Krishna Advani.
Senior Congress leader Narhari Amin, ecstatic after
the final tally of 18 and 15 between Congress and BJP
respectively, said "The people of Gandhinagar have voted
against the Modi government. Congress has started year 2011
with hoisting victory flag in state capital Gandhinagar."
This is the beginning of end to Modi rule and will be
reflected in 2012 Assembly polls. GMC elections have indicated
that people want change, he said.
116 candidates contested for 33 seats spread across 11
wards of the civic body which was formed following the Gujarat
High Court order of September 17, 2009.
Gandhinagar was a notified area administered by the
state government before it announced formation of the
municipal corporation on March 17, 2010.
Out of 8 municipal corporations of the state, Congress
is now ruling two while BJP in six.
Sixty percent polling was registered for the civic
poll that passed off almost peacefully, barring a stray
incident of a verbal spat between the Congress and BJP worker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report