Several injured as demolition drive turns violent in Rajkot
Rajkot: A demolition drive undertaken by Rajkot Municipal Corporation (RMC) on Thursday turned violent after city Congress workers opposed it in which several persons were injured, police said here today.
The RMC carried out the demolition drive in two areas
Manchha Nagar and Sagar Nagar to vacate the road by pulling
down over 100 houses located in these areas.
However, Congress had opposed the drive and urged RMC
authority not to demolish many houses. However, the RMC
authority refused their demand and started the operation
this morning amidst police bandobast.
Congress city unit president Jasvant Bhatti, opposition
leader in RMC Narendrasinh Jadeja and other Congress workers
were present alongwith thousands of locals during the drive.
The situation became tense when mob started pelting
stones at RMC officials in which a policeman was injured.
In reply, police latchicharged but failed to control the
situation following which the mob set ablaze an earthmover and
damaged some RMC vehicles, police said.
Seven rounds of teargas shells were lobbed to disperse
the mob and bring the situation under control, police added.
Yesterday, RMC had pulled down five temples in various
parts of the city to widen the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested