Sexual assault case: Asaram sent to police custody till Oct 19
Zee Media Bureau
Gandhinagar: Controversial godman Asaram was on Tuesday remanded to police custody till October 19 by a local court hearing the alleged sexual assault case filed by two Surat-based sisters, against him and his son Narayan Sai.
Magisterial Court judge VA Budh reserved his order, after hearing the arguments of the police and defence.
Asaram was produced before the court this morning after he was brought to the city on transfer warrant from Jodhpur last night amid tight police security.
Nobody, except the litigants, was allowed to go inside the court premises, where the hearing took place.
Police in its remand application had sought 14 days custody of Asaram citing various reasons, including interrogation of the accused regarding the alleged crime, his medical check up and seizure of things related to the crime.
They also mentioned in the remand application that they want to investigate whether other girls in the Ashram are also subjected to the same exploitation or not.
Asaram`s advocate BM Gupta, however, severely opposed the demand of remand, saying that the case is 12-years-old.
Gupta told the court that his client was innocent and is being framed in a false case. He said that there was no need of police remand as it has already completed primary investigations.
Surat Police had recently registered complaints filed by two sisters - one against Asaram and another against his son Narayan Sai - of rape, sexual assault, illegal confinement and other charges.
The complaint against Asaram was transferred to Chandkheda police station in Ahmedabad as the incident took place in his ashram here. The case is going on in Gandhinagar court as Chandkheda area falls in Gandhinagar district.
The elder of the two sisters, in her complaint, had accused Asaram of sexual assault between 1997 and 2006 during the time she had been living in his Ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad city.
The younger sister had filed a complaint against Sai, accusing him of repeated sexual assault between 2002 and 2005 when she was living in their Surat Ashram. The whereabouts of Sai are not known.
Both Asaram and Sai had filed petitions in the Gujarat High Court seeking quashing of sexual assault complaints against them. Sai has already filed for anticipatory bail in a court in Surat.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi