Sexual assault case: HC dismisses Asaram, Narayan Sai’s petition
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Monday dismissed as withdrawn the petitions moved by controversial self-styled godman Asaram and his son Narayan Sai, who had sought quashing of FIRs of sexual assault lodged against them by two Surat-based sisters.
The court had completed hearing arguments of counsels of Asaram and Sai and the government pleader last month before reserving its order on the petitions moved by the father-son duo.
Justice A J Desai today dismissed the petition after the counsels for the duo withdrew it.
The court further observed that liberty has been granted to the duo to file fresh petitions after investigation in the case is over.
Asaram and Sai had moved High Court seeking quashing of FIRs registered against them by two Surat-based sisters, who had alleged that they were repeatedly sexually assaulted between 1997 and 2006 by the father-son duo at their ashrams in Surat and Ahmedabad while they were staying there.
After the two complaints were lodged at Jehangirpura police station in Surat, the plaint against Asaram was transferred to Chandkheda police station here because the alleged incident had taken place there.
The elder of the two sisters had allegedly accused Asaram of repeated sexual assault between 1997 and 2006 during the time she lived in his ashram on Ahmedabad city outskirts.
The younger of the two sisters had filed a complaint against Sai, who is absconding, accusing him of repeated sexual assault between 2002 and 2005 when she lived in their Surat ashram.
The 72-year-old Asaram is languishing in Jodhpur jail in another sexual assault case lodged against him. He was brought to city last month and questioned extensively in connection with the case before being taken back to Jodhpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!