‘Shah pressurized Johri on fake shootout probe`
Ahmedabad: Senior IPS officer Geetha
Johri, who was supervising the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake
encounter case, was under "tremendous" pressure from former
Gujarat minister Amit Shah following which she herself
recommended a CBI probe into the 2005 episode, the
investigating agency has said.
CBI said this in a supplementary charge sheet filed
today in its special court here against Shah and another
accused, Rajendra Jeerawala, owner of Arham farmhouse where
Sheikh and his wife Kausar Bi were illegally detained by
Gujarat Police before being killed.
"There is documentary evidence on record that Johri,
the then IG (State CID), was under tremendous pressure to
tamper with evidence and influence witnesses," it said.
The charge sheet quoted a file noting by Johri dated
May 22, 2007, which said, "There is a systematic efforts on
part of certain agencies, including the police to tamper with
the witnesses and evidences..."
"Under the circumstances it is not possible for the
SIT (formed by Supreme Court to probe the case) to meet the
deadline of the SC and the directions given by it...", the CBI
document quoted the filed noting.
"The government may please be therefore moved to hand
over the case to CBI for the purpose of meting out justice to
the petitioners and maintain the image of Gujarat Police,"
said the file noting by Johri, Gujarat first woman IPS
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital