Shankersinh Vaghela slams Guj govt for turning a blind eye to farmer woes
Vadodara: Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Assembly, Shankersinh Vaghela on Thursday criticised the Narendra Modi government of overlooking woes of farmers hit by unseasonal rains and hailstorm in South Gujarat and Saurashtra region.
According to official sources, crops of wheat, kesar, alphonso mangoes and bajra besides horticulture crops in several hectares have suffered damage in Valsad and Navsari (South Gujarat) districts.
Reports from Talala in Bhavnagar and other parts of Junagadh districts also said that there has been a lot of crop damage there.
"The Gujarat government has failed in assessing the damage to crops due to untimely rains and hailstorm. It has not bothered to conduct any survey in the affected areas," Vaghela told PTI .
The farmers have suffered heavy financial losses and finding it difficult to survive in absence of any economic aid from the Gujarat government, he said.
"Why none of the officials from concerned departments of the Gujarat government have cared to visit these affected areas in Saurashtra and South Gujarat when reports of crop damages have been widely covered by the print and electronic media," he asked.
Also, Modi has not uttered a single word of sympathy towards them, he alleged.
Vaghela said Congress is prepared to take up the issue with the Centre in the same way as Maharashtra chief minister Prithviraj Chauhan did it for Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof