Sharma criticises Modi`s remarks on cotton policy
New Delhi: Criticising Gujarat Chief Minister
Narendra Modi for looking at cotton export policy with a "narrow prism of partisan politics", Textiles Minister Anand
Sharma has asked him to restrain from making such remarks.
He was responding to Modi`s comments that the Centre is
taxing export of cotton while offering subsidies on meat
"I was shocked that a Chief Minister of a large state had
made an unwarranted statement without ascertaining the facts
of the matter," Sharma said in a letter to the Gujarat Chief
Pointing out that the Centre does not give any subsidy to
meat exporters, he said, "I wish you would be restrained and
judicious while making public statements on government policy.
It would be unfortunate to view matters of public policy from
the narrow prism of partisan politics".
He said the government policy strives to strike a fine
balance between the interests of all stakeholders in the
cotton value chain farmers, ginners, traders, yarn producers
Modi had strongly criticised the Centre`s move to ban
cotton exports last month. The ban was soon lifted by the
The Central government has directed CCI to buy 15,000
bales of the natural fibre from Gujarat on a daily basis.
Sharma has asked the Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) to
buy cotton from the state at Rs 4,400 per quintal.
One cotton bale is equal to 170 kg.
Cotton prices are averaging around Rs 4,000 per quintal
and are way above the MSP prices of 3,100 per quintal.
On April 3, CCI purchased about 11,000 bales at Rs 4,400
per quintal from major mandis across Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation