Shootout probe monitoring: Guj govt quizzed
New Delhi: The Modi government was Friday questioned by the Supreme Court for not consulting it while
appointing a new chairman of a monitoring authority, looking
into the investigations of 22 encounter killings in Gujarat
The apex court expressed its displeasure over appointment
of former Bombay High Court Chief Justice K R Vayas in place
of former apex court judge, Justice M B Shah, who had quit as
the panel`s head on personal and health grounds.
"We should also have been told about the proposal for the
appointment of new chairman," a bench of justices Aftab Alam
and Ranjana Prakash Desai said.
Senior advocate Ranjit Kumar and Gujarat`s Additional
Advocate General Tushar Mehta told the bench that the
notification for appointment of Justice Vayas, former chairman
of Maharashtra Human Rights Commission was issued yesterday as
Justice Shah has refused to continue as chairman and as per
the January 25 order of the apex court, the monitoring panel
had to file its interim report in a time bound manner.
The bench, however, said the appointment should have been
made by consulting the court as it had passed the order.
"You (Gujarat government) have unnecessarily complicated
the matter. You should have come to us. You should have
waited," the bench observed.
"This concerns our order. You should have brought this
fact to our notice," the bench said.
The court was of the view that since the counsel for
Gujarat government had come to know on Monday that the matter
was listed for today they should have told the court about the
proposal for the appointment of Justice Vayas.
The bench was hearing two PILs filed by veteran journalist
B G Verghese and poet and lyricist Javed Akhtar, who had
sought a direction for a probe by an independent agency or the
CBI so that the "truth may come out".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31