‘SIT concealing evidences to protect politicians’
Ahmedabad: Some of the victims of 2002
Gulburg housing society riots here have accused the Supreme
Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) of concealing
evidences to protect politicians and high-ranking policemen in
the post-Godhra communal violence case.
The allegations were levelled by their lawyer S M
Vohra while making submissions in a local court on their
application seeking a stay on the trial in the case till SIT
submits its final report.
Judge BJ Dhandha, after hearing all parties - the
applicants, the accused and the prosecution - reserved his
order on the application till November 18.
Seeking a stay on the trial, Vohra contended unless all
evidences related to the case were submitted in the court,
prejudice could be caused to the trial.
He said SIT has probed the complaint of Zakia Jaffery,
whose husband Ehsan Jaffery was among those killed in the
violence, on a direction of the apex court, and demanded that
its findings related to the Gulburg case be placed before the
Zakia`s complaint had alleged inaction on the part of top
Gujarat government officials to contain the statewide riots
triggered by the February 27, 2002 Godhra train carnage.
SIT was not submitting relevant evidences in the court
as it wanted to protect some powerful politicians and high-
ranking police officers who have been accused of dereliction
of duty by the riot victims, Vohra claimed.
He said the court should wait for the evidences to be
submitted by SIT and till then, stay the trial. This would not
cause any prejudice to the accused as there is already a stay
on pronouncement of judgement in the case by Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?