SIT concludes arguments against Zakia`s petition
Ahmedabad: The Supreme Court appointed Special Investigation Team Wednesday concluded its arguments against Zakia Jafri`s petition seeking rejection of SIT report giving clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others in the 2002 post-Godhra riots.
While concluding the submissions before metropolitan magistrate B J Ganatra, SIT lawyer R S Jamuar urged the court to reject the petition filed by Zakia and accept the report.
Zakia is the widow of Ehsan Jafri, a former MP who was burnt to death in the post-Godhra riots.
Summing up his arguments, Jamuar claimed Zakia`s complaint, filed before Supreme Court in June 2006, was nothing but the "assembly of irrelevant material" and it contains nothing which can be investigated under the provisions of Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).
Defending the report, which concluded that no criminality has been made out against any of the persons against whom the complaint has been filed, SIT asserted it has collected all possible material during "fair" investigation, monitored by the apex court, and on that basis, the report has been filed.
In January last year, SIT had submitted its final report giving clean chit to Modi and others in the 2002 post-Godhra riots.
Zakia had filed a petition before the magistrate protesting the SIT report and sought filing of charge sheet against Modi and 58 others.
In her protest petition, Zakia also demanded rejection of SIT report by the court and directions of further probe into her complaint by an independent agency, other than SIT.
The court adjourned the hearing till June 26, when Zakia`s advocate will begin arguments for the rejection of SIT closure report and for their demand to file charge sheet against Modi and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?