SIT denies Togadia lawyers` charges
Ahmedabad: The Special Investigation Team
(SIT), probing some of the 2002 riot cases, on Tuesday denied the
allegation by VHP leader Pravin Togadia`s lawyers that one of
the members of the Supreme Court-appointed agency had
humiliated them when they went to meet him on April 24.
In a statement here, the Deputy Superintendent of
Police (administration), SIT, said, "(the allegations) are not
only false, but have been deliberately made with a view to
malign the SIT."
Yesterday, Togadia`s lawyers Shaileshkumar Pandya and
Sandip Modi had alleged in an affidavit that SIT member A K
Malhotra humiliated them and their client when they went to
meet him at the SIT office in Gandhinagar in connection with
the summons issued to the VHP leader.
"SIT denies absolutely that no such incident had ever
taken place on Saturday (April 24), which was a holiday for
the SIT. The concerned member of SIT (Malhotra) has already
denied the allegations appearing in the press," it said.
Togadia was called for questioning by SIT on April 19,
but he failed to appear before it. He was called in connection
with the complaint of Zakia Jaffery, wife of slain ex-MP Ehsan
Jaffery, who was among the 69 killed in the Gulburg Society
riots on February 28, 2002.
The lawyers had also alleged that Malhotra refused to
accept their letter demanding information from SIT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations