SIT expresses inability to investigate Ishrat encounter case
Ahmedabad: Supreme Court appointed special
investigation team has conveyed to the Gujarat high court its inability to investigate the Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
In a letter to the court of division bench of Justice
Jayant Patel and Justice Abhilasha Kumari, SIT has conveyed
that they are unable to take up the investigations of Ishrat
Court on August 23 had directed the state government
to get the view of Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing
some 2002 riot cases, if it was willing to take up probe in
Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
The court was hearing a petition filed by father of
one of the suspected terrorists Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias
Pranesh Pillai seeking review of the High Court`s earlier order transferring the probe in Ishrat Jahan encounter case to Supreme court appointed SIT.
Ishrat`s mother Shamima Kausar, meanwhile, has
approached Supreme Court against the High Court`s order after
which the Apex Court had ordered Gujarat government to not to
transfer the case to SIT till further orders.
Mumbai-based Ishrat was killed in an encounter along
with Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali
alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani by
crime branch officials near Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
The high court has kept the further hearing of the
case on September 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Want to book DDA community halls? Now, you can do it in 15 minutes - Know how
- Five dead, 20 injured as truck collides with tanker in UP's Lucknow - Know what happened
- BJP MP Maheish Girri to file defamation case against Arvind Kejriwal?
- Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo sends Portugal to pre-quarters - All details here
- Salman Khan's 'raped woman' controversy: Here's what Nawazuddin Siddiqui has to say about his 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan'