SIT opposes Rais Khan`s plea to become court witnesses
Ahmedabad: The special investigation team
(SIT) on Monday opposed the application of former coordinator of
an NGO, Centre for Justice and Peace (CJP) Rais Khan, to
become a court witnesses in the Naroda Gam case of 2002 riots.
SIT advocate Ajay Choksi, opposing Khan`s plea seeking
permission to be examined as a court witness, said that he was
neither an eye witness nor a victim of the riots in Naroda gam
where 11 persons were killed, hence his plea needs to be
He further said that Khan had never approached the SIT
after its formation in 2008, he was not a witness listed in
the charge sheet filed by the agency.
Choksi further alleged that Khan has come to the court
with an intention of helping some of the accused in the case,
who have not opposed his plea.
Designated judge S H Vora hearing the case has
reserved the order on Khan`s application till December 3.
Khan`s lawyer Bhargav Bhatt submitted that his client
could throw light on various aspects of the case including
the affidavits of some of the victims filed in the Supreme
Court that had led to confusion.
He further said that Khan should be allowed to give
his version as some of the witnesses in the case have alleged
that he had manipulated their affidavits.
After the riots, Khan had worked as co-ordinator with
CJP, headed by Teesta Setalvad, from February 28, 2002 to
January 18, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!