`SIT should be charged with contempt of court`
Ahmedabad: The SIT, probing the 2002 riots
cases, should charged with contempt of court for failing to
comply with the Supreme Court order to submit all documets in
connection with riot victim Zakia Jaffery`s complaint to the
magistrate, activist Teesta Setalvad`s lawyer said on Monday.
The issue was raised by Setalvad`s lawyer IM Munshi
during a hearing on their plea seeking copy of the SIT`s
final report submitted to Metropolitan Magistrate M S Bhatt.
Zakia, Setalvad, Jan Sangharsh Manch (JSM) and one of
the riot victims of Gulburg Society riots have sought a copy
of the SIT report from the court.
The report was submitted in a sealed cover to the
court last Wednesday. It reportedly gives a clean chit to
chief minister Narendra Modi and 56 others on the ground that
there is no "prosecutable evidence".
Today, during the hearing on group of applications
seeking copy of the SIT report, the agency`s counsel RS
Jambuar revealed that a huge volume of evidence related to
Zakia`s complaint containing statements and other documents
is still with the SIT.
Jambuar had earlier sought one month`s time from the
court to properly arrange those documents and serialise them
before submitting in court.
On this, Munshi contended that SIT`s action was a
violation of Supreme Court`s September 12, 2011 order asking
it to submit all the documents related to Zakia`s complaint
before the magistrate and demanded that the agency should be
charged with contempt of court.
He also asked the court to direct the Supreme
Court-appointed SIT to first submit all the documents related
to Zakia`s complaint in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say