SIT submits its complaint to CBI in Ishrat case
New Delhi: The Special Investigation
Team, probing the alleged fake encounter killing of Ishrat
Jahan in Gujarat 2004, on Thursday gave its complaint to CBI, paving
the way for registration of a fresh FIR and start of a
investigation in the case.
CBI will examine the complaint and later register a fresh
case to probe the killing of college student Ishrat Jahan by
the then officials of Gujarat police.
The Gujarat High Court had on December 1 directed CBI to
take over further probe in the case in which 19-year-old
Ishrat, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and
Zeeshan Johar were killed in Ahmedabad.
The directives came as the Special Investigative Team
constituted by the High Court had concluded last month that
the encounter was staged by police.
A judicial inquiry report by metropolitan magistrate S
P Tamang report had alleged that 21 police officers, including
then crime branch chief JCP P P Pande, suspended DIG D G
Vanzara, the then ACP G L Singhal and ACP N K Amin were
involved in the conspiracy regarding the encounter.
Vanzara and Amin are also accused in the fake
encounter killing of alleged gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh and
in the murder of his wife Kausar Bi and are at present in
The High Court had ordered CBI to also probe the claims
made by the state police after the encounter that Ishrat and
the other three persons were LeT terrorists on a mission to
kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow