`SIT subverting riots probe to shield Modi`
Ahmedabad: Civil society groups and veteran
Gandhians in Gujarat have alleged the Supreme Court-appointed
Special Investigation Team was "subverting" probe in the 2002
riot cases to shield Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others.
In a letter to Chief Justice of India (CJI) SH
Kapadia, they have questioned the integrity of the SIT, headed
by former CBI Director RK Raghavan, in probing the riot cases
in a just and unbiased manner.
"As citizens of Gujarat we write to you, concerned
that a historic investigation under the supervision of the
Supreme Court since 2008 is being subverted by vested
interests inimical to the rule of law," the letter claimed.
"This could prove disastrous for lasting and
sustainable justice that has to be the pre-requisite for peace
and harmony (in the state)."
"We are concerned and puzzled at the silence of SIT
over media reports on it filing closure report with regard to
Zakia Jaffery`s complaint against Modi and 62 others," veteran
Gandhian Chunibhai Vaidya told mediapersons here after
releasing the letter.
Others who have signed the letter include former Chief
Minister Suresh Mehta, Father Cedric Prakash, of Centre for
Human Rights, Justice and Peace, former VC of Bhavnagar
University Vidhyut Joshi, General Secretary of People`s Union
for Civil Liberties (PUCL) Gautam Thaker, and Dwarikanath of
Movement for Secular Democracy and others.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know