SIT summons VHP leader Togadia for questioning in Guj riots
Ahmedabad: The Supreme Court appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) has summoned Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) international general secretary Praveen Togadia to appear before it on April 19, for questioning in connection with the 2002 post-Godhra riot cases.
"Our international general secretary Togadia has been summoned by the SIT on April 19," VHP sources told a news agency.
Sources in the SIT said Togadia has been summoned with regard to the complaint of Zakia Jaffery, wife of slain ex-MP Ehsan Jaffery, who was among the 69 killed in the Gulburg society riots on February 28, 2002.
Zakia in her complaint has alleged that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and 62 others, including his cabinet colleagues, police officials and senior bureaucrats, aided and
abetted post-Godhra riots in the state.
According to Zakia`s complaint, Togadia "collaborated with the other accused in perpetration of violence in pursuance of the conspiracy."
SIT has also questioned Narendra Modi with regards to Zakia`s complaint for over nine hours on March 27.
The Supreme Court on April 27, 2009, had asked the SIT to inquire into Zakia`s complaint. She had approached the apex court after the Gujarat High Court refused on November 3, 2007 to give any direction and asked her to seek redressal before the Magistrate`s Court.
She had alleged that between February and May 2002 there was a "deliberate and intentional failure" of the state government to protect the life and property of innocent.
SIT has already recorded statements of many people named in her complaint which include former minister of state for Home Gordhan Zadafia, BJP leader IK Jadeja, former BJP MLA from Lunawada Kalu Malivad, sitting MLA from Mehsana Anil Patel, ex-IPS officer RB Sreekumar, social activist Teesta Setalvad, and IG Shivanand Jha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why