SIT to submit Ishrat Jahan probe report
Ahmedabad: The special investigation team (SIT) probing the Ishrat Jahan case will submit its final report to the Gujarat High Court on Wednesday.
Ishrat was killed in Ahmedabad in 2004 in a police encounter along with three others. The police claimed she was a terrorist, but it has been alleged that the encounter was stage-managed. The SIT report will give its finding whether the encounter was fake or not.
The encounter was carried out by a team led by Ahmedabad Crime Branch led by DIG DG Vanjara, who is presently under custody in connection with the case.
During the last hearing SIT head RR Verma had sought more time from the division bench of Justice Jayant Patel and Justice Abhilasha Kumari, saying that some points in the FSL and AIIMS reports needed clarification.
The bench then asked the SIT to submit the final report on October 5. The next hearing would be on October 7.
SIT had called a team from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), New Delhi, for reconstruction of the case and collection of data.
Verma said that though both the institutions had sent reports, the SIT had some queries, and as they were of technical nature, the AIIMS Central Board will take some time to reply.
Following which the High Court directed that AIIMS should give its reply within two weeks.
It also ordered the Gujarat government not to transfer any of the officials associated with the SIT out of Ahmedabad till the investigation was over, after Verma informed that one of the officials had been transferred outside. The court ordered that this officer be transferred back to the city.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore