Sitting Congress MLA Jasa Barad quits; back in BJP fold
Ahmedabad: In a major setback to Congress ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, their sitting MLA from Somnath constituency of Junagadh district Jasa Barad, after resigning from the party and also as a member, today rejoined the BJP.
Barad is the second Congress MLA who has crossed over to BJP in recent times.
The three-time MLA today submitted his resignation to Gujarat Assembly Speaker Vajubhai Vala in presence of BJP local leaders.
He later drove to state BJP headquarters, where he was welcomed to the party by state unit BJP president R C Faldu and other BJP leaders.
Barad was earlier associated with BJP. However, he left the party along with former Chief Minister Shankarsinh Vaghela who formed Rashtriya Janta Party (RJP). Barad later joined Congress with Vaghela.
"The Congress is in a dormant state. It lacks leaders, while on the other hand when BJP is projecting Narendra Modi as its prime ministerial candidate, I am confident that under him country will usher in good times," Barad said after joining BJP.
Barad belongs to Kshatriya community and is also a president of the Gujarat Rajput Samaj.
He also said that he has resigned from the primary membership of the Congress party.
In the last week of January, another Congress MLA from Lathi assembly constituency of Amreli district, Bavku Undhad had also resigned to join the BJP.
Barad`s resignation as Congress MLA from Somnath seat reduces the party`s strength in the state Legislative Assembly to 55. This will also necessitate a by-election.
BJP`s tally in the state assembly has increased to 120 and the number of legislators representing Congress party has reduced to 55.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan