Sitting Congress MLA Jasa Barad quits; back in BJP fold
Ahmedabad: In a major setback to Congress ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, their sitting MLA from Somnath constituency of Junagadh district Jasa Barad, after resigning from the party and also as a member, today rejoined the BJP.
Barad is the second Congress MLA who has crossed over to BJP in recent times.
The three-time MLA today submitted his resignation to Gujarat Assembly Speaker Vajubhai Vala in presence of BJP local leaders.
He later drove to state BJP headquarters, where he was welcomed to the party by state unit BJP president R C Faldu and other BJP leaders.
Barad was earlier associated with BJP. However, he left the party along with former Chief Minister Shankarsinh Vaghela who formed Rashtriya Janta Party (RJP). Barad later joined Congress with Vaghela.
"The Congress is in a dormant state. It lacks leaders, while on the other hand when BJP is projecting Narendra Modi as its prime ministerial candidate, I am confident that under him country will usher in good times," Barad said after joining BJP.
Barad belongs to Kshatriya community and is also a president of the Gujarat Rajput Samaj.
He also said that he has resigned from the primary membership of the Congress party.
In the last week of January, another Congress MLA from Lathi assembly constituency of Amreli district, Bavku Undhad had also resigned to join the BJP.
Barad`s resignation as Congress MLA from Somnath seat reduces the party`s strength in the state Legislative Assembly to 55. This will also necessitate a by-election.
BJP`s tally in the state assembly has increased to 120 and the number of legislators representing Congress party has reduced to 55.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know