`Situation in Guj worse than emergency days`
Ahmedabad: In a fresh salvo at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, veteran BJP leader Keshubhai Patel on Tuesday said the situation in the state has become "worse" than the Emergency era.
Patel, who was chief minister of Gujarat before being replaced by Modi in 2001, has been targeting the BJP stalwart in the run-up to the state elections scheduled in December.
The 82-year-old chose the 37th anniversary of the imposition of Emergency to slam Modi and his style of functioning.
"Today is the 37th anniversary of imposition of Emergency in the country. On this day, I would like to remind people what is the position in Gujarat," Patel said in his maiden blog.
"Some parents of missing children of Gujarat wanted to represent their case to the chief minister. However, they were detained by the police and interrogated," Patel wrote.
"Those who do not have any political affiliation and want to put forward their point of view cannot meet the chief minister of the state... What kind of fortification is this," he asked.
"Why does the chief minister fear the people of the state?... Is this not worse then emergency days," he questioned.
Patel was referring to yesterday`s police action to stop the rally of `Association of Parents of Missing Children` and detained the members saying they had organised the procession without proper permission.
"I have been raising the issue that there is no freedom of expression in Gujarat and this incident has once again proved my words," Patel said.
The Modi-baiter has taken up the social media in an apparent bid to reach out to youths in his campaign against Modi, sources close to Patel said.
During his meeting with senior BJP leaders in Delhi last week, Patel reportedly submitted a representation against Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch