Six acquitted in 2002 Gujarat riots case
Ahmedabad: Six persons accused in a 2002
riot case where a youth and his mother were allegedly burnt
to death in Gomtipur area here, were acquitted by a trial
court for lack of evidence.
Additional sessions Judge M P Sheth, hearing the case,
on Tuesday acquitted all six accused in the case on the grounds
that the prosecution could not prove its case beyond
reasonable doubt against those arrested and charge-sheeted by
According to case details, the incident had taken place
on April 21, 2002 when two persons identified as Firoz and his
mother Hamidabanu were burnt alive while they were on their
way to Rakhial Crossroads here.
The victims were on a motorcycle when the duo was
intercepted by a mob near Parmanand’s Chawl in Gomtipur area.
The rioters had also looted shops belonging to minority
community in the same area.
Though complaint of burning of two humans by a mob was
immediately filed by one of the shop owners, the accused were
arrested only in 2006. Out of the seven accused named in the
FIR, one of them had died by then.
Six persons from Gomtipur area, including one Vicki
Christian, were arrested by the police four years after the
incident. The chargesheet filed described how petrol was
procured and the mother-son duo was torched on road in broad
daylight. But the police had not named any eyewitness in the
The trial in the case commenced only in 2011 where eight
witnesses were examined including the doctor who performed
autopsy on the deceased, two investigating officers, two
persons including the complainant whose shops were damaged
and three other witnesses. One of the witnesses had turned
According to defence lawyer Sandip Christie there was no
eyewitness in this case.
Public Prosecutor U D Shekhawat said the investigation in
this case was not proper, because the accused came to be
arrested very late, after four years of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list