Slum kids from Ahmedabad to perform in US
Ahmedabad: A troupe of sixteen children, most of them from slums, would be touring the United States from the next month with the mission to spread Mahatma Gandhi`s message of `Ekatva` (oneness) through a dance-drama.
Groomed by noted danseuse Mallika Sarabhai, the troupe is scheduled to give performances of the show `Ekatva` in Chicago, Houston, New Jersey, Washington DC, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Austin, Atlanta and Montclair.
Several organisations have contributed for supporting the tour. The children are largely from slum area of Rama Pir No Tekor.
"The show `Ekatva` is inspired by a similar project by children from slums here, called `Ekta` (Unity), in 2001. However, this time they are younger than those in 2001, so it was all the more challenging to prepare them," Sarabhai said.
"They are in the age group of 12-13 years....It appears like a big task for this young lot- but we have experienced that they have potential of doing so much actually."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read