Snoopgate probe against Modi stalls as model code sets in
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: With the announcement of General Election dates on Wednesday, it is being speculated that the Centre may not be able to proceed with the probe against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Snoopgate.
As per reports, the Central government may now find it difficult to set up a judicial commission to investigate the charges against Modi, who is also the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate.
Coupled with the earlier setback of at least three judges refusing to head the probe panel, the Centre may now find it difficult to find a judge to lead the commission as the dates for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls have been announced.
Judges are wary of the fact that the probe against Modi could be politically motivated.
While the Union Law Ministry is of the view that the model code of conduct does not apply to this decision of the Central government as it was taken much before the poll dates were announced, it is unlikely that judges may agree to head the probe which is being looked at as political game-scoring.
For the past two months, the government has been trying to convince several retired Supreme Court judges or a retired high court chief justice to lead the probe panel, but to no avail.
The case centres on an expose by a web portal as per which Modi had in 2009 allegedly directed the Gujarat police to keep a young woman under surveillance. Contrary to the claims, the woman`s father had stressed that it was he who had requested Modi to put his daughter under surveillance.
The Union Cabinet had decided to set up the probe panel on December 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh