Social activist Ila Pathak passes away
Ahmedabad: Social activist Ila Pathak on Thursday passed away following a brief illness at a hospital here, the city-based NGO umbrella group `Charkha` said.
Pathak (80) was the founder secretary of Ahmedabad Women`s Action Group (AWAG).
A former professor of H K Arts College and president of India Chapter of Women`s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF), Pathak passed away today at 4 pm, said a statement by Movement for Secular Democracy (MSD).
Born in 1933, she was an active member of MSD and vice-president of Peoples` Union for Civil Liberties` (PUCL).
Pathak played a key role in movement for justice to the victims of 2002 Gujarat riots, movement against Patan P T C College gangrape incident, etc. She also supported Manipur`s Irom Sharmila`s agitation against Armed Forces Special Powers` Act (AFSPA).
She will be cremated tomorrow at Thaltej crematorium here.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating
- Smoking inside home makes kids ill
- Turkey says prevented 85 security incidents since January
- Nagaland Board of School Education (HSLC) Class 10 Results 2016 to be declared today; check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in