Social activist Ila Pathak passes away
Ahmedabad: Social activist Ila Pathak on Thursday passed away following a brief illness at a hospital here, the city-based NGO umbrella group `Charkha` said.
Pathak (80) was the founder secretary of Ahmedabad Women`s Action Group (AWAG).
A former professor of H K Arts College and president of India Chapter of Women`s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF), Pathak passed away today at 4 pm, said a statement by Movement for Secular Democracy (MSD).
Born in 1933, she was an active member of MSD and vice-president of Peoples` Union for Civil Liberties` (PUCL).
Pathak played a key role in movement for justice to the victims of 2002 Gujarat riots, movement against Patan P T C College gangrape incident, etc. She also supported Manipur`s Irom Sharmila`s agitation against Armed Forces Special Powers` Act (AFSPA).
She will be cremated tomorrow at Thaltej crematorium here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Despite public outcry over images of man carrying dead wife, Odisha gives clean chit to hospital
- WOAH! Pakistani journalist silences Piers Morgan after he taunts Indians using Sachin Tendulkar's example
- Bolivia deputy interior minister killed after being kidnapped by miners
- Shah Rukh Khan, Akshay Kumar among world's highest paid actors of 2016
- This is what childhood obesity can do to your child's health now, later!