Social activist Ila Pathak passes away
Ahmedabad: Social activist Ila Pathak on Thursday passed away following a brief illness at a hospital here, the city-based NGO umbrella group `Charkha` said.
Pathak (80) was the founder secretary of Ahmedabad Women`s Action Group (AWAG).
A former professor of H K Arts College and president of India Chapter of Women`s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF), Pathak passed away today at 4 pm, said a statement by Movement for Secular Democracy (MSD).
Born in 1933, she was an active member of MSD and vice-president of Peoples` Union for Civil Liberties` (PUCL).
Pathak played a key role in movement for justice to the victims of 2002 Gujarat riots, movement against Patan P T C College gangrape incident, etc. She also supported Manipur`s Irom Sharmila`s agitation against Armed Forces Special Powers` Act (AFSPA).
She will be cremated tomorrow at Thaltej crematorium here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption