Sohrab case: CBI opposes bail plea of accused
Ahmedabad: The CBI on Friday opposed the bail
plea of suspended IPS officer Abhay Chudasama, a key accused
in the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, in the
Gujarat High Court, saying that if let out he could intimidate
witnesses and tamper with evidence of the case.
The Central agency further contended in its affidavit
filed in the court today, that they have evidence to believe
that if let out on bail, Chudasama could influence witnesses
in the Tulsi Prajapati fake encounter case, which it was
investigating on the orders of the Supreme Court.
Justice KM Thaker hearing the case asked Chudasama`s
lawyers to file reply to the CBI`s affidavit by November 24,
when the next hearing is scheduled.
In the affidavit, CBI has said that Chudasama played a
key role in conspiracy of fake encounter of Sohrabuddin and
murder of his wife Kausar Bi. He was involved in the extortion
racket run by Sohrabuddin.
It further said that Chudasama had threatened key
witnesses in the case Dashrat Patel and his brother Raman
Patel, the owners of Popular Builders company.
Chudasama was the one who had offered Rs 50 lakh to
Sohrabuddin`s brother Rubabuddin Sheikh to withdraw his
petition from the Supreme Court.
The CBI while opposing Chudasama`s bail also cited
the 2006 Tulsiram Prajapati encounter case that it was
investigating and claimed that the probe in this case was at
very critical stage and Chudasama if set free could influence
evidence in the case.
According to CBI, they have video footage showing that
Dashrat Patel was being threatened by Chudasama and another
accused in the case Yashpal Chudasama.
The central agency further said that they have been
receiving complaints from the Patel brothers that Chudasama
had earlier intimidated them and if let out he could again
threaten them which could affect the case.
Chudasama in his bail petition in High Court has
claimed that he was being used as tool to get to former
Gujarat Minister of State for Home Amit Shah who is also an
accused in the case and now out on bail.
Claiming that CBI just made him ladder to reach
Shah, Chudasama had denied all charges against him including
that of criminal conspiracy and destruction of evidence.
He has contended that if accused like former Gujarat
Minister of State for Home Amit Shah, alleged to be the `king
pin` behind the fake encounter, and one Raju Jirawala, were
granted bail by courts, hence he was also entitled to it.
On August 16, Special CBI Judge R M Parmar had
rejected Chudasama`s bail plea and observed that the officer
was accused in a heinous crime and was claimed to be the key
conspirator in the case by the prosecuting agency CBI, hence
he cannot be granted bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part IV
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming