Sohrab case: CBI told to provide witnesses` statement to Amin
Ahmedabad: A special CBI court on Monday ordered
the investigation agency probing the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh
fake encounter killing case to provide a copy of the
statements of some of the witnesses to NK Amin, one of the
accused policemen in the case.
The order was passed by Additional Chief Judicial
Magistrate AY Dave following application by Amin seeking a
copy of statements of some of the witnesses that were recorded
by the state CID which was probing the case before CBI took
over the investigation following a Supreme Court order in
January last year.
Amin, who was ACP with the City Crime Branch during the
encounter, had sought copy of statements of one Bhalabhai
Bharwad, who was his driver at that time, and three other cops
who were with the crime branch then to establish that he was
not anywhere near the spot of the crime.
Amin`s lawyer Jagdish Ramani said the statement of
Bharwad and others were part of the chargesheet filed by the
state CID in the court but were deliberately omitted by CBI
from its chargesheet.
These statements would clearly show that Amin was in the
city when Sohrabuddin`s wife Kausarbi`s body was burnt in
Illol village of Sabarkantha district and had no role to play
in that event, Ramani said outside court.
Amin had in January backtracked from becoming an approver
in the case by withdrawing his application he had filed in the
CBI court here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes