Sohrab case: CBI told to provide witnesses` statement to Amin
Ahmedabad: A special CBI court on Monday ordered
the investigation agency probing the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh
fake encounter killing case to provide a copy of the
statements of some of the witnesses to NK Amin, one of the
accused policemen in the case.
The order was passed by Additional Chief Judicial
Magistrate AY Dave following application by Amin seeking a
copy of statements of some of the witnesses that were recorded
by the state CID which was probing the case before CBI took
over the investigation following a Supreme Court order in
January last year.
Amin, who was ACP with the City Crime Branch during the
encounter, had sought copy of statements of one Bhalabhai
Bharwad, who was his driver at that time, and three other cops
who were with the crime branch then to establish that he was
not anywhere near the spot of the crime.
Amin`s lawyer Jagdish Ramani said the statement of
Bharwad and others were part of the chargesheet filed by the
state CID in the court but were deliberately omitted by CBI
from its chargesheet.
These statements would clearly show that Amin was in the
city when Sohrabuddin`s wife Kausarbi`s body was burnt in
Illol village of Sabarkantha district and had no role to play
in that event, Ramani said outside court.
Amin had in January backtracked from becoming an approver
in the case by withdrawing his application he had filed in the
CBI court here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert