Sohrab case: Court says no to collecting accused voice samples
Ahmedabad: A special court on Wednesday set aside
the lower court`s order allowing CBI to take voice samples of
two police officers-accused in Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake
encounter killing case to compare them with audio-video
Suspended IPS officer Abhay Chudasama and Sub-
Inspector N V Chauhan had challenged the order of Additional
Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM) A Y Dave who had permitted
CBI to collect voice samples of the duo in October last year.
CBI Judge G K Upadhyay, hearing Chudasama and
Chauhan`s appeal, set aside the magistrate`s order. Following
the ruling, the central agency probing the five-year-old case,
would not be able to get voice samples of the duo.
Rohit Sharma, counsel for the accused, said they had
submitted that the magistrate`s court was not empowered to
grant permission to collect voice samples.
Earlier, ACJM Dave had allowed CBI to collect voice
samples of Chauhan, Chudasama and N K Amin, another accused.
Amin, who wants to turn an approver in the case, has already
given his voice sample for verification.
CBI wanted the samples of the accused to verify the
voices with the audio-video evidence the probe agency claims
to have in its possession.
The audio-video evidence includes the recording of a
purported conversation between Amin and Chauhan. In the tape,
Chauhan is purportedly saying he had heard prime accused D G
Vanzara, an IPS officer, telling another co-accused Rajkumar
Pandian over the phone that instructions to liquidate
Sohrabuddin`s wife Kausar Bi came from then Gujarat Minister
of State for Home Amit Shah.
Another evidence is the video recording of the meeting
between two other accused, Yashpal Chudasama and Ajay Patel,
with two witnesses in the case builders Raman Patel and his
brother Dashrat at the city-based Rifle Club.
In this audio-video footage, the accused have been
caught purportedly trying to influence the witnesses and
allegedly explaining them how they should depose before the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured