Sohrab case: Court says no to collecting accused voice samples
Ahmedabad: A special court on Wednesday set aside
the lower court`s order allowing CBI to take voice samples of
two police officers-accused in Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake
encounter killing case to compare them with audio-video
Suspended IPS officer Abhay Chudasama and Sub-
Inspector N V Chauhan had challenged the order of Additional
Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM) A Y Dave who had permitted
CBI to collect voice samples of the duo in October last year.
CBI Judge G K Upadhyay, hearing Chudasama and
Chauhan`s appeal, set aside the magistrate`s order. Following
the ruling, the central agency probing the five-year-old case,
would not be able to get voice samples of the duo.
Rohit Sharma, counsel for the accused, said they had
submitted that the magistrate`s court was not empowered to
grant permission to collect voice samples.
Earlier, ACJM Dave had allowed CBI to collect voice
samples of Chauhan, Chudasama and N K Amin, another accused.
Amin, who wants to turn an approver in the case, has already
given his voice sample for verification.
CBI wanted the samples of the accused to verify the
voices with the audio-video evidence the probe agency claims
to have in its possession.
The audio-video evidence includes the recording of a
purported conversation between Amin and Chauhan. In the tape,
Chauhan is purportedly saying he had heard prime accused D G
Vanzara, an IPS officer, telling another co-accused Rajkumar
Pandian over the phone that instructions to liquidate
Sohrabuddin`s wife Kausar Bi came from then Gujarat Minister
of State for Home Amit Shah.
Another evidence is the video recording of the meeting
between two other accused, Yashpal Chudasama and Ajay Patel,
with two witnesses in the case builders Raman Patel and his
brother Dashrat at the city-based Rifle Club.
In this audio-video footage, the accused have been
caught purportedly trying to influence the witnesses and
allegedly explaining them how they should depose before the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'