Sohrab case: HC rejects bail plea of accused cop
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Monday rejected
the bail application of V A Rathod, an accused in the 2005
Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case who was described as an
"important witness" in the CBI charge sheet filed last year.
The bail plea of Rathod, a suspended Police Inspector,
was rejected by Justice R H Shukla.
Rathod`s lawyer Punit Juneja earlier contended that the
CBI had recommended that his client be discharged as accused,
and made him a witness in the high-profile case, in which
several policemen, including IPS officers, and a former state
minister had been named accused.
The reasons for rejecting the bail application will be
known once the court order is received, Juneja said.
The prosecuting agency (CBI) had not opposed Rathod`s
plea, contending they had no evidence against him.
Rathod`s name was among the three accused for whom the
charge sheet had recommended that "they are required to be
discharged as accused/suspects in the case".
Justice Shukla on October 29 last year granted bail to
prime accused, former Minister of State for Home Amit Shah,
saying the evidences relied upon by CBI, prima facie, did not
suggest the BJP leader`s involvement in the case.
In the chargesheet, Shah has been described as the
"kingpin" of the conspiracy leading to the fake encounter of
Sohrabuddin, an alleged gangster, by police here in November
2005 and killing of two key witnesses, Soharabuddin`s wife
Kausarbi and his close aide Tulsiram Prajapati.
The CBI had said evidence against three accused Ajay
Parmar, Santram Sharma and V A Rathod indicated their non-
complicity in commission of crime. "All the three did not have
any meeting with the key conspirators and were present at the
scene of crime following orders of their superiors."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs