Sohrabuddin case: Accused cop moves for bail
Ahmedabad: A special CBI court on Tuesday issued
notice to the apex investigating agency after suspended IPS
officer Abhay Chudasama, who is one of the prime accused in
the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, filed for
a regular bail.
Special sessions judge K M Parmar asked CBI to file its
reply by June 28.
Chudasama, who was DCP- city crime branch when arrested
by the CBI in connection with the case, has pleaded that he
was innocent and being implicated in the case.
He sought bail on grounds of parity as other accused
in the case, including former Gujarat minister of state
for home Amit Shah, alleged to be the "kingpin" of the fake
encounter, and Raju Jirawala, were granted bail by respective
Chudasama, in his bail plea moved through advocate Rohit
Verma, stated that CBI arrested him to somehow lay hands on
Shah. Claiming that CBI just made him a "ladder" to reach
Shah, Chudasama dismissed all charges against him, including
that of criminal conspiracy and destruction of evidence.
He also rebutted the statements of the witnesses who
testified against him, after the CBI filed chargesheet, saying
they were arrested by him in the past.
There was no reason to believe the versions of the
"highly unreliable jail birds", Chudasama said in his bail
Chudasama further said that Sohrabuddin`s brother
Rubabuddin had accused him of bribing the latter to withdraw
the case from the SC. "Why he did not make any statement
before the apex court while the case was pending there?," he
The suspended officer also claimed that CBI targeted
him because he was earlier providing legal aid to the accused
cops, which CBI disapproved of.
Citing grounds for his bail, Chudasama said that no
evidence, except vague sting operations, had been made
available by the CBI, and there is nothing to show his
involvement in the principal crime of abduction, illegal
confinement and elimination of Sohrabuddin and his wife
Chudasama said that following his hip replacement
surgery, he cannot walk properly and if not granted bail at
this juncture, it would tantamount to his pre-trial
The suspended IPS officer has also described his 20
years of police service as meritorious.
He enumerated his role in unearthing nexus of
trafficking, narcotics and drug trafficking, exposing huge
cache of arms, ammunition and explosives.
Chudasama also listed how as a superintendent of
police of Valsad, he successfully detected various crimes
involving big fish like Mohammed Doosa and Izzu Sheikh.
He also claimed credit for cracking the 2008 serial
blasts cases of Ahmedabad and Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- BJP names 12 candidates for Rajya Sabha seat; Venkaiah Naidu, Nirmala Sitharaman, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi tops list
- 'Government should make Amitabh face of tobacco control campaign'
- 'Ok Jaanu' stars Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor take party spirit up a notch! - View pictures
- Dempo return to I-League with 3-1 win against Minerva
- At least 700 dead after series of shipwrecks off Libyan coast